There are two aspects of adoption; one when the process is completed smoothly without any hindrances but the other one is when there are a lot of problems that the adoptive parents can face. There are many reasons behind this one like the adoption type is not right, the adoptive parents didn’t bond with the child properly or the house was not ready as it should be.
12 Suggestions from adoption lawyers in Atlanta
But to overcome these difficulties the adoption lawyers in Atlanta advice some suggestions that can be useful straighten up all the curves and loopholes that parents experience during the whole of the adoption procedure. Although these 12 suggestions may seem ordinary they have an everlasting impact on adoption.
Asking the right questions
If you really want for the adoption to work then you have to first ask yourself the following important questions.
- Are you ready for the adoption?
- What will be the age of the child?
- Which type of adoption will you prefer?
- Will the child be well adjusted in the new house?
- What type of behavior will be from the child?
Know what the law says
For each type of adoption, there are different rules and regulations. In the same way, every state has its own laws and for a successful procedure, you have to know all of them. Like in Atlanta you have to obey the following rules.
- A single parent must be 10 years older than the child.
- The married couple also has to adopt a child 10 years younger.
- The parent must check out all legal requirements.
Arrangement of the Money
The process of adoption covers a lot of things from the fee of an adoption lawyer, financial help to the birth mother, the hospital bills, preparing the house, home study fee, money for post-adoption and travel expenses if the adoption is international. A single adoption can cost you from $10,000 to $40,000 and with many payment options also.
There is no need to feel ashamed of adoption. Don’t think of it as a disgrace but assume that you are providing a child with a house in which he/ she can live peacefully and with security. In order to provide the child; you have to get help from professionals like lawyers and social workers who are associated with Tom Tebeau.
Affiliate with an adoption group
There are many groups that are working together to assist both birth and adoptive parent to cope with the whole process. The birth parents have to pick up the courage for giving up their parental rights for the sake of the child. The other party has to be brave and adopt a child who is not their own.
Know the Likes and Dislikes of the Child
Bonding with the child is useful in many ways. The adopted child will not think of the adoptive parents as strangers because they have visited each other several times. Another advantage is that the parents will know what are the likes and dislikes of the child and they can plan their lifestyle accordingly.
Decide for the Kind of Adoption you want
There are 9 types of adoption available to carefully choose from.
- Step-Parent Adoption in which a step-parent can apply to adopt the child of the current partner.
- Public adoption comes when you want to raise a child through the foster care system.
- When birth parents voluntarily give up their child then it is called private adoption.
- Domestic adoption is within the country you live in.
- Adopting a child from another country is called international adoption.
- Adoption through either private or government agency.
- In Relative adoption, the child is taken by a close family member.
- Open adoption allows the child and the birth parents to meet.
- When the child and the birth parents are not in contact then it is called closed adoption.
Home Study is done in time
Adoptive parents make a crucial mistake of not preparing the house for the child and even a bigger one of not conducting a home study in the required time. The ideal time for the home study is during the long waiting time.
All of the planning must be done long in advance. The day you think of adopting a child; this is the most appropriate time to start outlining all that is to be done. This will give you an upper hand and you can know the does and don’ts of the process.
Mentally Prepare for the Worst
What could possibly go wrong during the process? Well, there are a lot of problems that both the parents can face. The critical one is a rejection of the application, denial by the child and refusal by the parents.
Bonding with the child is important
A child can face difficulty in bonding with the adoptive parents as they are total strangers to him/ her. Creating a strong bond is important if you want the adoption to be successful.
Always have a positive attitude
In the end, the adoption lawyers in Atlanta suggest that you remain positive and have all of the tasks and requirements in the right procedure.