- New York is always abuzz with activities at any time of the year. ‘The City the Never Sleeps’ has something in store for its guests and appeals to globetrotter year around. But, the fall season in New York casts a different spell on its visitors. The crisp air, cool ambiance, festive flair and fall colors all add a touch of enchantment to New York’s otherwise mundane ambiance. Autumn in New York starts from September and lasts till early December, but October is the best time to witness the splendors of the fall season in New York. Wondering what to do in New York during the fall season? Here’s a list of things to do in New York during your autumn holiday to the US.
Things to do in New York during the Fall Season
- Enjoy the fall foliage at Central Park and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
Undoubtedly, the first thing to see in New York during the fall season is its magnificent display of fall foliage. The onset of autumn turns the ambiance in New York City into a beautiful spectacle of crisp, auburn and chartreuse hues. These riots of fall colors stand out starkly in contrast to New York City’s glass and concrete jungle. The weather stays pleasant, accentuated with refreshing breezes to stroll outdoors and engage in some leaf-peeping. Head to Central Park and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens if you want to experience the amazingly vivid canvasses of Mother nature’s creativity. These are two main spots in New York where you can have a pleasant stroll amid oaks, elms and several dense trees sheathed in various shades of reds, yellows, orange, and greens. Opt for a scenic drive through the city to watch fascinating autumnal foliage as well as visit popular New York tourist attractions at your own leisure.
- Enjoy the Halloween festivities
October month is Halloween madness for the US masses. As with every other fete, New York City makes it a point to celebrate it in extravagant verve. The city adorns itself in orange hues, pumpkin lanterns and plays host to Halloween themed events, costume parties, haunted house events, and the world’s largest Halloween parade. Hangout at the cafes and bars to experience Halloween’s effect on the city’s vibes, sights, and flavors. Try out a costume at any Halloween Costume Shop and mingle with the locals. Halloween is a big deal in New York City and you can find the spooky ambiance everywhere. Spend some time checking out various haunted bars and haunted mansions specifically designed for Halloween fests. One of the must-dos in New York during Halloween is viewing the Village Halloween Parade and the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze which consists of over 7,000 carved pumpkin lanterns displayed at the river shores of Van Cortlandt Manor. You can even join a Ghost Tour which will take you through main highlights in New York caught in Halloween spirit.
- Mingle with locals at New York City events and festivals
Though it is an autumn season during October, it is also the onset of frigid winters. Hence the weather starts getting colder, and this gives New Yorkers the perfect excuse to amuse themselves with numerous indoor events and activities in New York City. The city plays hosts to popular events such as the New York Comic Con, CMJ Music Marathon, Photoville and Oktoberfest to name a few. However, the outdoorsy spirit isn’t much dampened by the coming winters. The New York State gears up for an array of cultural fests and events such as various gourmet and harvest festivals and musical events. Tantalize your taste buds at Long Island’s Oyster Festival, Feast of San Gennaro and New York City Wine and Food Festival. The kids can have their share of fun at fall harvest festivals such as Naples Grape Festival, Ithaca Apple Harvest Festival, and Queens Country Farm fests.
- Go on a shopping spree at New York’s Holiday Markets
The fall season and the Halloween spirit gives New York the ideal excuse to offer locals and guests an extravagant shopping experience through holiday markets. Various stalls and shopping arenas pop up during the mid-October stretching till the Christmas season that caters to its customers with a myriad of merchandise options and food outlets. Holiday Shops at Winter Village at Bryant Park Union Square Holiday Market and Columbus Circle Holiday Market are few shopping precincts you ought to check out if you are in New York during the fall season. These markets are also an ideal place to simply revel in the festive spirit and indulge in mouthwatering holiday special snacks and desserts.
- Take an excursion to Finger Lakes Wine Country vineyards
The State of New York in the USA is not limited to New York City. Look beyond the city and you would come across an amazing assortment of fall season experiences. One such excursion is to explore the vineyards of the New York state. The fall season is the harvest season at vineyards and hence a vineyard tour will provide you with a blissful escape from the urban settings along with a fascinating experience of scenic vistas, wine, and eclectic cuisine. The fall foliage at Finger Lakes Wine Country has one of the best picturesque autumnal vistas of the United States. Journey through the trails around Cayuga, Keuka, Canandaigua, and Seneca lakes to appreciate nature’s astounding splendors. It also gives you an opportunity to take part in grape stomping sessions, wine tasting and sample some amazing flavors of the local cuisine.
- Attend the New York Film Festival
One of the biggest events in New York City is the New York Film Festival held annually during autumn. This is a perfect opportunity to catch glimpses of some of Hollywood’s high profile actors and movie stars. Each year, the film festival organizes 2-week long activities that include film premieres, short documentaries, fresh new talents in filmmaking and cinema based special events in the fall season. If you are a movie buff and wish to catch screenings of independent flicks or blockbusters, then do take some time out of your US holiday schedule to watch screenings held at various settings in Lincoln Centre.
Tips for Visiting New York during Fall
Here are some tips that would make your visit to New York during the Fall easy and hassle-free:
- Although fall in New York in pleasant, it is important to carry some warm clothes. A jacket and a woolen cap or scarf should be a part of your luggage.
- As it is pleasant to walk in New York during the fall season, make sure to pack a sturdy and comfortable pair of walking shoes.
- If you are exploring the city on foot, know about the sideway traffic rules.
- Rather than buying a new bottle of water every time you go out, carry a reusable bottle. The tap water in New York is drinkable, and you can refill your bottle from anywhere in the city.
- Before visiting the city, you need to ensure if you need a US visa. If you do, apply for the same at least a few months before the date of your visit.
- If you are a citizen or resident of UAE, you can apply for a US visa from Dubai through the US Embassy or Consulate General in the city.
Plan your US vacation during the fall season and you would find that New York is incredibly charming and much easier on your pocket than on Christmas and New Year periods.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!